It has been 3 years since I went to Ryan and said, "Honey, I think we need to have a baby." I 110% totally thought that Ryan would say, "No, let's wait a while longer." It was a miracle when he said, "I think you are right!" So, here we are today, the proud parents of an independent and cute little two year old girl.
3 years ago I never could have even fathomed how tiring and hard the next 3 years would and have been...or how overwhelmingly rewarding and filled with joy they would be. I feel so blessed that I would be selfish not to acknowledge how many miracles have come my way. Some are huge and others seem so small some might call them coincidence, but they were huge to me and I know them as miracles.
I learned what real worry was when they found choroid plexus cysts on Sadie's brain at our 20 week ultrasound. In many cases, these cysts don't mean anything and resolve on their own. But in other cases it can be a symptom of more severe birth defects. We had to wait until I was 6 months along before they could recheck to see if the cysts had resolved. Those were some long months waiting and worrying. That is one of my biggest miracles - the cysts resolved and Sadie was born a very healthy and strong baby.
Then when Sadie was about 8 months old she started having seizures. It was like someone would switch an off button in Sadie and her whole body would go limp, her head would drop and she would lose all muscle control for just an instant and then she would be right back to normal. This would happen almost every 45 minutes. It came on suddenly and lasted for a week and then disappeared just as suddenly. The Dr. said it was probably just a severe symptom of development...but who knows. One thing is for sure, it taught me to have faith and to pray like I have never prayed before. Miraculously, the seizures have not returned, nor do they appear to have harmed Sadie in any way. A modern day miracle.
I see it as a miracle that I am blessed with such an amazing mother who was by my side every day for a month after Sadie was born and has come to babysit every week since.
The fact that I found a husband who is so patient and understanding and such a great dad is a blessing. And the fact that he still loved me even through postpartum depression is a miracle too.
Finding Sadie's current pediatrician was a miracle. Especially after dealing with her first pediatrician for 6 months. He was a complete joke.
Then there are just little tiny miracles every day - one night Sadie was so sick and she was screaming and in pain. I didn't know what to do and I didn't think I had any Tylenol left. I said a little prayer and suddenly I remembered a bottle of Tylenol that I had forgotten about. I even found it in a drawer where it doesn't normally belong. That bottle of Tylenol was a miracle.
Other days miracles are simply when Sadie sleeps for an extra hour or two, or when she falls off the couch or the bed, misses completely braining herself on the table, and pops right back up like nothing happened. Or when amazing neighbors or friends lend a hand without being asked.
Saying Sadie is attached to her binkies would be a massive understatement. Alas, the time has come. I have been slowly phasing them out one at a time (at one point she carried 5 around with her at once) by cutting small holes in them. She says, "They bowken" (broken) and I say, "Ok, go put them in the garbage." The first binkie, she just couldn't do it! She said, "Help, pwees" (please). I threw it away and off she ran happy as a little bug. Today, however, we came to the Very. LAST. Binkie. I knew she would be ok throwing it away. She thinks that part is fun. I just didn't expect her to be ok when she asked for it before she went to sleep and we told her that they were all gone. Yeah, here is the miracle: She didn't even ask for it! Just got in her crib and went to sleep.
Miracles do happen. And I have proof.
5 comments:
That IS a miracle! Right on! Now stay strong, because she may not be like that every night... But YAY! Congrats!
This is an awesome post. Thanks so much for sharing.
Do you still have the same e-mail address that you always have (since I've known you?) Sent you an e-mail ;).
What a sweet post. It makes me think of all of the blessings and miracles that have happened in my life. Especially when it comes to children. Thanks Lisa for helping me remember all that I have to be thankful for.
What a great post. You are a great writer.
Post a Comment