It sounds easy, but don't let that step fool you. It is harder than it sounds.
A few weeks ago I heard a story about a man, who in his 80th year of life decided to have an affair with an old (and when I say old, I mean old!) girl friend and eventually decided to leave his wife of 50+ years. Shortly after leaving, his (ex)wife was diagnosed with cancer. She died a mere 3 weeks later. It begs the questions, "Couldn't he have waited a few more weeks?"
That's the question I asked myself this afternoon as I turned on my kitchen faucet and watched water flood into my cabinets while not a drop came out of the faucet. 3 weeks. My house only needs to stay intact for 3 more weeks.
We have been expecting to get a transfer notice from Ryan's job any day for the past 2 years. But it didn't come and it didn't come. But our house held out great! ...until about 6 months ago.
In the past 6 months we have:
replaced the motor on the garage door, replaced the springs and rebalanced the door: $700
installed a new furnace: $5,000
replaced the coolant in the air conditioner: $400
cleaned the air vents: $200
built a square foot garden: $200
Well, the transfer notice came. So, as we put our house up for sale and prepare to move to Denver in 3 weeks, you can add $188 (plus whatever it will cost to get it installed) to the list of repairs we have made on our house that we will not be around to enjoy.
Can you endure to the end? If you are my house, then the answer is NO!
(On the plus side, if you are in the market for a house. Come and check out ours! You can be confident nothing will break for a long, long time. We have replaced it all!)
9 comments:
Is Denver going to be a temporary place, or are you there to stay for a few years?
about 1 year is what they said.
1 year in Denver... then Montana! ;)
Noooooooooo! We were so hoping you'd be joining us in the South.
We replaced our furnace about one week before our transfer notice came.
Are you kidding??? I thought your Mom said you were safe until about Spring time??? Looking out my window it's definitely FALL/WINTER!!!!
I know. It is crazy!! One week we thought we were safe for 1 more year and then the next week were being shipped off. We will miss you guys sooo much. You will have to come visit. This snow is crazy too! Wasn't it like 70 degrees outside last week?
@ Sarah: I would LOVE it if we came to montana!
@Talyn: It's like the watched pot that won't boil. FAST won't move you until you sign a lease or replace a very expensive appliance. Just ask Christina :) I miss you guys bunches, not enough to want to move to ATL though, sorry! :)
So true, Lisa. Except I think the just about to / just had a baby thing works as well. Too bad for use we had to do both.
Fine. Let's ALL go to Montana then.
I can't believe you're leaving!! I knew it was coming....but I still can't believe it! Maybe you should just rent the house and come back when the year's over!
Post a Comment