Friday, September 24, 2010

"Do You Know What You Are Having?"

That is what the dental hygienist asked me last week while she was cleaning my teeth.

I started racking my brain trying to think what in the world she was talking about. "Like for lunch?" I thought: "I am not really sure. Perhaps a turkey sandwich... or maybe some soup... I am not really sure cause lunch is like 3 hours away. Besides, why are we talking about what I am having for lunch when you should be xraying my teeth. Yeah, why have you not xrayed my teeth? Usually that is first thing that happens when I get to the dentist."

I decided to just answer, "Nope, not yet!"

She continued with some miscellaneous chit chat. A little about her daughter who is a cheerleader at BYU. A little about her son with the job as a janitor at a gym.

Then she asked, "So, when are you due?" And I was all like, "Lady, you ask strange questions. Obviously I am due for my teeth cleaning now because here I am sitting in this chair letting you stab my gums with your little torture tools. This is not a place I would choose to be if it wasn't good for my health!"

Instead, I decided to show my good dental hygiene. "In about 6 months from
now."

That is when another dental hygienist walked into the room and asked why I hadn't been xrayed? And I was all like, "Yeah! why haven't I been xrayed?" And my cleaning lady said, "Because she is pregnant!"

WHAT???!!!??? (Is this what an accidental pregnancy feels like?...P.S. That diet you have been trying is NOT working!!!)

Other dental hygienist: "Oh, how exciting. Congratulations!"

Ok, at this point I had a mini freak out. Do I correct my hygientist and make her and me feel stupid? (I had, after all, already told her that I do not know what I was having but that I was due in 6 months...) Oh, crap! Too late to back out now! So I offered her a heart felt, "Thank you very much!"

As gossip will, the news spread through the office like wild fire and I was offered a handful of other congratulatory remarks. FYI, I am not feeling sick, nor have I had any weird food cravings, but I am feeling tired and we do have a name picked out if it is a boy...(?!? I decided if I was going to do it, I was going for an academy award).

I am not sure I was reallying lying because nobody ever asked me outright if I was pregnant. However, when the dentist came in he said, "So, the last time I saw you, you had just had your little baby girl." And I was like, "yep, she is two now!" And then he asked THE QUESTION. "So, any plans for any more?" I decided now was my time to tell the truth, "Nope! Not for right now!"

HA! He had an uber-confused look on his face. Ha, Ha! But I offered him no explanation. I just opened my mouth wide so he could see my beautiful, glistening clean pearly whites.
I was expecting to maybe leave the dentist office with a cavity or two. Luckily, I am cavity free. I was NOT, however, expecting to leave the dentist office with a baby!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Too funny Lisa, and your performance was epic.

Ashley said...

HA HA HA HA HA! I'm sorry they thought you're pregnant, but the story is hilarious! I love that you never corrected them. :)

Jill said...

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall. I would have been laughing so hard. I love reading your blogs

A Momma said...

Oh man, that is funny. I just got an email from a friend asking when I am due.
I'm not, by the way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails