Sadie has been doing lots of fun stuff in preschool this year (if you're interested, check out what she's been up to at preschool here) and she absolutely loves it. She's been working on letters and numbers, counting and patterns. She's also been learning a lot about rhyming words. She walks around the house saying things like "king, ring, king, ring" and after not too long she has usually made up a little song to go along with the rhyme.
The other day her foot was itching. And so, she came up with a rhyme. "itch, b*tch, itch, b*tch" which then became the little song "itch that b*tch and then be on your way, itch that b*tch and then be on your way."
Well, when a swear word comes out of your four year old's mouth there are a number of different roads you can take and my mind quickly scanned through all possible scenarios:
1. Laugh. because it is funny. Nope, can't do that cause then she will think it is funny and continue saying it for months. (We learned this the hard way when I had the flu and I said I wanted to barf. That was in November. We still hear "Oh Barf!!!" on a daily basis because she thought that word was so hilarious).
2. Tell her it is a bad word and not to say it anymore. Nope, then she will keep saying it just because she knows she's not supposed to. And, maybe discouraging her search into letter sounds and rhymes isn't the best idea.
3. Congratulate her on a correct rhyme. It was a rhyme. Can't discourage correct rhymes, can I? Bingo. Support learning and hope she moves on to a new rhyme soon. I wonder if she graced her preschool class with this new found rhyme?
Ha Ha!! I love this little girl. I never know what in the world is going to come out of her little imagination next.
...And, here's a picture just for cuteness' sake.
3 comments:
I love it - both her rhyme and your response. Brilliant.
All around excellence here. Also, don't wait so long to post next time. You may be super busy with your responsibilities but I'm not and i want to read about you.
K, I just came across this from my website, and even though I feel a little stalkerish, I had to respond. I am almost in tears! She should be a rapper! Those are some great lyrics. DYING LOL!
Post a Comment