Monday, June 29, 2009

A Plastic Bag, Some Dirt and Ice Cream Sandwiches


On our way home from Puerto Rico a few weeks ago, we had a lay over in Houston, TX where I took Sadie to the restroom for a long over due diaper change. While I was in said restroom I couldn't help but notice an exhausted mother trying desperately to get her exuberant toddler to wash her hands. The toddler adamantly protested and then made a beeline for the exit with completely dry (read germ laden) hands. As the mother watched her daughter make a run for it I heard her say aloud "RELAX" then she took a deep breath and ran after her.I know I shouldn't have laughed, but I did. I just couldn't help it because I know exactly how that mother was feeling. Today was one of those days.

Sadie awoke bright and early this morning, two hours earlier than I had hoped, after a night full of waking (she is getting her 3rd tooth). We battled through the diaper change, a game of cat and mouse that ends either with a screaming but diapered baby or a smiling child crawling away bare bottom waggling in the wind.

Next she was served a delicious breakfast of strawberries and bananas, which she refused to eat in her high chair and because she ranks at a -3% on the weight charts and I feel obligated to cram every ounce of food I can into her little mouth, I followed her around the house on my hands and knees sneaking bites into her mouth whilst she emptied cupboards.

Finally, 9:30AM arrived. Sadie rubbed her eyes, yawned and I thanked my lucky stars. It was nap time!

Que the next door neighbor's amazingly annoying adult-aged son. I don't know what kind of weird 6th sense he has, but he always knows exactly when Sadie has just gone down for a nap. This of course is the time when he decides to blast his music while he A) washes his car B) Takes apart and then re-assembles his motorcycle (which, with out a doubt, involves lots of engine revving) or C) Both of the above.

With Sadie yelling to the beat of annoying neighbor boy's music, I called Ryan to vent.
"He is washing his @#$% -&%*! car AGAIN!" Always the eternal mediator, Ryan suggested "Why don't you negotiate a "quite time" with him." Instead I chose the passive aggressive route and glared at him through the front room window.

By the time 2PM rolled around I had been doused with spaghetti-os by the energizer bunny, who had yet to take a nap and who continued to systematically destroy every room in the house. It was time to get out. I packed her into the stroller and headed to the local convenience store. I don't know of anything that is a better pacifier than ice cream.

15 cents short (thank you nice check out man. I am sure you had pity on me because of my whining child, my stained shirt and my unbrushed hair) and sweating like a pig, I ran all the way home to find relief in the shade of our big front yard tree. It was there under the tree, eating mostly-melted ice cream sandwiches with Sadie that I realized I needed to RELAX.

With sticky hands and an ice cream mustache she crawled into the flower bed and dug in the dirt. She shook the plastic bag the ice cream came in and giggled when it made that rustling noise. We played peek-a-boo around the stroller and she screamed with delight when I snuck up on her.

She is sleeping now. Her hands are most likely still sticky. Her clothes are stained with dirt. My house is a complete disaster area. I don't know what I am making for dinner tonight. I still have bananas stuck in my hair. But, thanks to a plastic bag, some dirt and ice cream sandwiches, I can say that today was a good day.

5 comments:

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bryant&Sandra said...

Hi Lisa,
I thank you for getting this fixed up for me. I do enjoy reading about your days with sweet Sadie and appreciate your hard work and patience with her. Keep up the great work!
Love, Mom J. :)

Amanda Edwards said...

Priceless.

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

Have you tried running a box fan in her room to muffle most of the noise? I know I had similar issues from neighbors that would ride their motorcycles full speed in front of my house... it is very annoying. Throw eggs at his newly washed car, or flatten his tires.. I dunno just brainstorming :0)

Lisa Marie said...

Ha, Ha. Yeah, I asked Ryan if I could egg his car. This is how the conversation went:
Lisa: Let's egg his car. It will be soooo fun!
Ryan: No. The last time I went egging I got grounded for the entire summer.
Lisa: I promise I won't ground you
Ryan: Can you promise I won't get arrested?
Lisa: No
Ryan: Then No, I don't want to egg his car.
Lisa: Whatever. You are old.

So...If you want to come egg his car with me the invitation is open.

By the way, I DO run a fan in her room and you can STILL hear the music. That is how loud he is. UGGHHH!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails