- Always estimate the time you think it will take you to finish your project before you start... and then multiply that time by 42.
- While completing a long-planned-for-but-never-started-home-project seems like an awesome fathers day surprise present, that CD he asked for would be just as, if not more, appreciated and a heck of lot less work.
- Always estimate the cost of the home project before you begin... and then multiply that cost by 3.
- It helps to understand the law of diminishing returns: Given a fixed amount of some input, when ever more amounts of the variable input are added, eventually, the marginal product declines. In other words, the longer it takes you to complete said project, the less you care about the quality of the work you perform and the outcome of said project.
- Realize that this law also applies to your home's previous owners. When you realize this fact you will need to consider either scrapping the whole project or starting over completely from scratch. In any case, multiply your current estimated time and cost by 5.
- Never, under any circumstances, set aside time or plan time to work on your project. It will rain. Always.
- Girls that can handle a power tool are sexy.
- When working with old and weathered wood expect to get massive splinters in your fingers and toes.
- Flip flops probably aren't the best shoe choice when working on a home project.
- There is actually a pretty significant difference between wood screws and deck screws. Namely, the top of wood screws break off when you are using them to assemble a deck.
- If you are using 2x4 pieces of wood and then you run out of 2x4s, it does little good to buy 2x5 pieces of wood.
- "Redwood" deck stain is really, really red.
- When cutting on an angle is needed, remember to measure it once, then measure it twice, then measure it again BEFORE you make the cut.
- If you are a girl and you go to Home Depot by yourself, expect to be ignored and then treated like you are completely stupid.
- Brothers come in handy when it come to home projects.
- Skilsaws and electric sanders are awesome!!! And the neighbors won't mind a bit when you are using them until 10pm multiple times a week.
- Doing a home project by yourself is completely overrated. Hire a professional.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Things to Consider Before You Start a Home Project
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am completely on board with you. When it comes to building things. Hire a pro - or I just call my dad!!
HAHA!! I love this post. That is EXACTLY how I feel about our stupid chairs (that I have been working on since April). You are so right about taking the time that you plan something to take and multiplying it by 42.
Haha, I love this. I have been mistreated many times in Home Depot, the worst of which came when I was wearing a dress and heels. BAD IDEA for Home Depot attire. Take note, ladies.
But I do think you are too cool for building a deck. Seriously.
Post a Comment