
I didn't jump right on the Lost train. In fact, I boarded rather cautiously. After seeing a few episodes here and there, I thought it was a rather boring show that made no type of sense. However, Ryan really wanted to give it a chance so he asked for the first season on DVD for his birthday. I think this was right before season 4 started on network TV. So, we flew threw the first season in just a couple of days and found ourselves at Walmart at 2am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning looking for season 2. Needless to say, we found ourselves addicted.
My Lockonian faith in the series started to waver sometime between Claire just randomly wandering off into the woods by herself without so much as an explanation and Ben "moving" the island. I had little confidence that the writers had any idea which direction the series was headed and even less confidence in a resolution to all of the absurd situations the characters found themselves in... time travel, Ben vs. Whidmore vs. everyone, the crucial numbers and the electromagnetic energy, the nuclear bomb, Jacob and the man in black...WHATEVER! Against my better judgement I hung in until the bitter end.
So, the end. What am I to say? I am not sure I have really processed it all. I do know that I still have questions that definitely went unanswered. Or, I feel that the answers that were provided were seriously lacking in content compared to the time invested in posing the question. I think I was expecting/hoping that the island was a figurative place more than literal. If LOST really was a show that was exploring human nature and trying to be a true character study I was hoping the product or conclusion would be something more than "Everybody Dies." Surprisingly, I already know that about human nature. This is what would have happened if it was all up to me:
- Flashbacks are the characters lives in which they are sad, alone, unfulfilled, lacking some type of meaning.
- The Island and the plane crash represent some sort of defining moment in their lives; a figurative fork in the road of their lives when they are given a chance to change.
- Flash forwards represent them continuing a life devoid of purpose or meaning
- Flash sideways represent a parallel exsistence where they have made choices that bring purpose, meaning and ultimately happiness.
- Death on the Island represents a choice on the part of the characteras to which exsistence they choose for themselves
- I would have spent less time introducing erroneous characters and circumstances.
Anyway, that is just how I would have done it. In the end, I liked the show. For the most part it was entertaining. And I can't deny that it always kept me guessing. And although I was a little disappointed in the way it ended, I can't argue that it was truely a unqiue twist on the average and traditional prime time television show. I wish more tv could be like LOST.
Are any of you LOST fans? What did you think of the finale/conclusion?
2 comments:
I <3 LOST. It wasn't exactly the ending I would've hoped for, but I still generally liked it. I didn't particularly like the ending of the sideways flashes, but I'm happy with how all the characters storylines wrapped up (except Ben, I wanted him to be happy too).
I hope someone comes up with something else LOSTish. I have a feeling I'll be going through withdrawals.
OH NO... We've LOST you guys!!!! We never did watch the show.. Tried one episode but didn't get it. I heard that if you didn't watch it at the first you would be "lost" hence the name right???
Post a Comment