Sunday, July 12, 2009

Seeing the World from Sadie's View


Sadie's first birthday is just around the corner and I can't believe how fast this past year has flown by. In my mind she hasn't changed much from the small infant we so gingerly carried home from the hospital. Yet, as I picked through the pictures of her: a swaddled infant, her first smiles, rolling over and playing with her feet, I realized she is growing up every day; quickly becoming a very cute, very inquisitive little girl. As I got lost in this moment of reflection, I also realized that I am too often letting the fast lane of parenting sweep me along the tasks of daily life. My world is all about schedules and responsibilities. Did Sadie eat enough lunch? Has Sadie gotten enough sleep? When will Sadie have her bath? Make sure Sadie doesn't smash her fingers in the door! In my haste, I am missing out on one of the best parts of being a parent. As a parent I get the chance to play the guide, navigating Sadie through her brand new world and, in so doing, I have the wonderful opportunity to experience this world through Sadie's eyes.

I assume that most parents are often guilty of not taking the time to truly appreciate this fantastic experience. Everybody, at one time or another, finds themselves stuck in the monotonous grind of the day to day. But, every once in a while, our children, exuding the excitement of discovery, will awaken our senses enough for us to stop and take notice. Each time this happens to me, I silently promise I will try to enjoy more of these moments. I love those moments. And because I know how quickly they will pass, I cling to each little thrill and giggle of new exploration.

Imagine what it might feel like to feel grass on your bare legs for the very first time. Would you relax in the plush blanket? Would you giggle at the millions of tiny fingers tickling your legs? Or would you cringe away from the sharp little spears?



When I first set Sadie in grass wearing shorts she gave me a look of shock and disappointment like she couldn't believe that I, her loving mother, would make her sit on such an uncomfortable surface. She then tried every possible way to keep her legs from touching the grass, even sitting in a V sit with neither legs touching the ground and crawling, not on her knees, but on her hands and feet, to keep away from that terrible, green poky blanket.


Imagine having to rely on somebody else to carry you anywhere you want to go. And even worse, you can't even tell them where it is you want to go. You must rely on them to know what is best for you. And then imagine you discover that you actually CAN move yourself around. I will never forget the moment of surprise that quickly turned to a smile bursting with pride on Sadie's face when she first rolled over. When she finally learned to crawl, Sadie exuded the same thrill of freedom I am sure I exuded when I drove away from home the first time with my new drivers license.



Have you found pleasure in the little things lately? Have you discovered how fun it is to dance to the music? Or clap when you are excited? Maybe try clapping along when Sadie starts clapping or join in on the fun when Sadie starts dancing to some music whether it be from her bouncer or from a t.v. commercial.


Some days, as you may have read in my earlier posts, are hard. Sadie is a little girl that is curious about everything: the cupboards, the dog's water bowl, the stairs. Needless to say, I get very tired trying to keep her out of trouble and sometimes I just want a break. But I have to decide it is all worth it every time she screams with excitement just because it is me popping out from under the blanket during a game of peek-a-boo.




1 comment:

Bryant&Sandra said...

Hi Lisa,
It's wonderful to read your writing that is so creative all about Sadie and her world and your world as her mother. I sure appreciate your caring ways in taking time to help her in this hard time of keeping her safe. She is sure fun to see as she discovers the world around her.
Enjoy!
Love,
Mom J. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails