Friday, July 8, 2011

Sleeping Time or Party Time?

About a month ago I decided it was time to transfer Sadie to a "big girl" bed. We will be getting a real bed for her sometime in August (as we will be needing the crib come mid-September), but until then Sadie's big girl bed is her crib with one of the sides removed. From all indications Sadie is thrilled with this development.
Sadie preparing for her first night's sleep in her big girl bed

I did my best to make sure she was good and tired out for that first night of sleep. I am no idiot. I have seen the Super Nanny. I know this new found freedom can spell horror for a parent. Luckily, the first night went grandly! Sadie went right to sleep. The next night seemed to go well, too.

Sometime down the road, however, Sadie discovered that she could get out of bed whenever she pleased. This lead to an abrupt ending of nap time and a rather prolonged bedtime.

One morning, I didn't hear her open her door or walk down the stairs. Upon realizing her bedroom door was open, I did a frantic search around the house and found her opening the sliding glass door and making a beeline for her play set at 6 in the morning.

When I couldn't stand the lack of a nap time anymore I insisted she stay in her bed and sleep. This resulted in me physically picking her up and putting her back in her bed 42 times (yes, I counted) in the space of an hour and a half. She finally got the idea that she needed to stay in her bed, but never actually went to sleep.

I will never forget one of the first nights she realized she could get out of bed. Ryan and I were downstairs watching TV. All had been quite in Sadie's room for a couple of hours, which would make me assume she was asleep. Sometime around 10pm Ryan went up to our bedroom only to find Sadie dressed in my finest pair of high heels, drawers completely emptied and Dora the Explorer playing on the TV.

The ensuing conversation went something like this:
Ryan: "Sadie! Oh No! What are you doing? It is sleeping time!!!"
Sadie: " NO Dad! IT IS PARTY TIME!!!!!"

It's Party Time!
After a month or so of daily battles, she is finally getting the hang of staying in her bed and actually going to sleep. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I threatened the life of her very favorite stuffed animal if she gets out of her bed during sleeping time...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails