Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Science Experiement

Ryan and I are conducting a little science experiment this month.

Hypothesis: If we eat healthier we will feel better. More specifically for me, if I can break my addiction to sugar I can cure some health issues that have been bothering me for a long, long time like back pain, insomnia, and acne.

The Diet: The Schwarzbien Principle
So, basically the gist of this diet is that you eat natural, unprocessed foods and a very limited amount of carbs. By so doing, you can heal your metabolism, get your insulin levels back to normal and therefore, restore all of your hormone levels to a healthy state.

Some of my most beloved foods I must give up: Anything with sugar in it. Anything. Like flavored yogurt and even ketchup and bbq sauce. And fake peanut butter. Fast food. Chocolate. Cafe Rio salads. Bread (most of the time). And (this one will possibly kill me) ice cream. Caffine and sugar substitutes...goodbye diet coke!

Some foods I can have that I am really enjoying: Good salads with lots and lots of veggies in them. Fruit. Real peanut butter. Avocados. Butter. (yes, this diet allows fats...healthy fats!)

My chiropractor introduced this diet to me a couple of years ago to help me with my back pain. I tried it for a few weeks and I always felt like I was STARVING. Then I found out I was pregnant with Sadie, so that would explain the starving. Anyhoo, being pregnant, I tossed restrictive diets out the window. So, I am back at it now and hoping what my chiropractor promised is true.

In the experiment, Ryan and I are the constants (of course, the change in nutrition being the variable), and so, in order to keep this as legit an experiment as possible I am limiting the number of other aspects of my life that I change. For example, I plan on exercising about the same amount as I did before as well as trying to get roughly the same hours of sleep per night.

So far, we are 3 days into our experiment and I have to say that it is not as terrible as I thought it might be. Sure, when I make Sadie a PB&J sandwich for lunch I wish I could sneak a taste and driving by Kneaders this afternoon really made me crave a chocolate chip cookie. But, I am in no way hungry. In fact, I feel satiated for longer than I used to. My sugar cravings are almost non existent. I feel less bloated and skinnier.

But then again, week 1 is always the easiest. I must survive the weekend and week #2.

I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

The Larsens said...

Good luck with your new eating lifestyle. I need to jump on that train but I don't know how well I'd do at it! I'm glad to see you are doing so well, you have such a cute family! We have a blog as well, although I don't keep it updated as well as I should. It's private, but if you want to check it out shoot me an email to hillaryrock@hotmail.com and I will send you an invite.

Crystal Lynn said...

Wo. good luck with all of that... The coke would be too hard for me.. I couldnt do it! Keep us posted!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails