If you were to go back and look through my old school notebooks from jr. high through college, you will find pages of my bored doodling. I would draw flowers and cartoon faces. Create patterns of diamonds and squares and circles. And, I would write down names that I thought I might one day give to my kids. Long lists of cute, unique or family names.
However, after seeing a positive pregnancy test, the names flowed a little less freely. Dad vetoed a fair amount of my ideas and was pretty adamant that your name needed to be a name present within the lyrics of a Beatles song. I wanted to be sure that your name couldn't be twisted into any funny nicknames or create incentive for teasing. I also felt the gravity of deciding how people would refer to you for your whole life. I wanted you to like your name. I wanted you to be proud of your name. I wanted people to look at you and think that your name fit your look and personality. But most of all, I wanted your name to signify who you are and will someday be.
The name Sadie is of english origin. It means Princess. And you are my little princess. But to me, the name Sadie has so much more meaning.
Your dad and I came up with the name Sadie Anne because that name represents four of the women that I respect and love the most. Each of these women have characteristics and qualities that we hope you will strive to emulate. If you live by their examples you will be a better, stronger, happier woman.
Your first name, Sadie, is a condensing of your Grandma Johnson's name, Sandra Dee.
Your Grandma Johnson is one of the most meek people that I know. The dictionary, when describing meek uses words like submissive or docile. But, when I use the word meek I picture the prophet Moses. He was righteous, humble and teachable, yet powerful enough to part the Red Sea and steadfast in defending righteousness and the commandments of the Lord. Your grandma is a very petite woman with a very quite voice, but she is one of the most powerful and strong women that I know because she faithfully follows God's will. She is gentle and humble, but stands up valiantly for what she believes is right.
Sadie, I hope that you will follow your grandma's example. Always be humble. Always be gentle. Always be faithful. And never be afraid to stand up for what is right. Always choose the right, even when it is unpopular or hard.
Your Grandma Johnson also knows and values the importance of family relationships. I can see in her actions and her examples that she knows that motherhood is a divine calling. She has nurtured and taught her children well. I am impressed with the relationships she has with her own siblings, parents, and extended family members. Sadie, family is extremely important and you are lucky to be born into a large family that loves you deeply and supports you endlessly. Carry on this legacy and tradition that your family has given you. Stay close to your family and they will support you in times of trial as well as in times of happiness.
Your middle name, Anne, is after your Grammy Anne.
Sadie, I hope that you will follow in your grammy's example. Always try to show love to those you come in contact with, whether friend or enemy. Always seek for ways to serve others. Always be on the lookout for the people that truly need a friend. If you learn to show compassion, if you learn to have generosity, if you always strive to be kind in any circumstance, I promise you that you will always feel happiness and love in return.
Your grammy Anne is also extremely talented and she has worked hard over the years to cultivate her talents. She sings like an angel and she can sew anything you could think up, just to name a few. Her talents have enriched my life and many others as well. Sadie, life gets busy and full of things that always need to be done. But don't forget to take the time to do the things that you enjoy. Heavenly Father has blessed you with specific talents so that you may, in turn, bless the lives of others.
Your first name, Sadie, is also a combination of my two good friend's names, Sara and Heidi. S and A come from the first part of Sara's name and D-I come from the ending of Heidi's name.
Sara is smart. In high school she was always using big words that I pretended to know, even though I had no idea what she was saying. The reason that we are sent to this earth is to gain knowledge. Sadie, always be curious and never stop learning, whether that means getting a formal education, learning from life experiences or reading and studying. Always do your best.
Sara also has the biggest, happiest laugh I have ever heard. She brings joy and happiness with her. Sadie, I hope that you will always look for the joy in any situation, even when times are hard.
Heidi has a firm testimony and she shows that testimony in the way she lives. Heidi has always done things, like pull out her scriptures before going to bed even when she was at a sleepover, that shows her testimony for the most basic principles of the gospel. Sadie, scriptures, prophet, prayer...build a firm foundation by gaining a strong testimony of the basics of the gospel. Your testimony will give you the strength and courage you will need in your life.
I also wanted to name you after my two good friends to reiterate to you the importance of choosing good friends throughout your life. My two friends have always made it easy for me to make good choices. We have laughed together and we have cried together. We have been there for weddings and for births. We have been there through sadness and grief. Good friends are important. Choose wisely.
So Sadie, that is what is in your name: MEEKNESS, FAMILY, MOTHERHOOD, NURTURING, CHARITY, KINDNESS, SERVICE, TALENT, KNOWLEDGE, JOY, TESTIMONY, FRIENDSHIP. Each person that has shared their name with you has set an example for you. I hope that you will honor the names that you bear. You are a very special girl. I love you dearly, forever and ever!
Love,
Mom
3 comments:
Beautiful - I love that her name has so much meaning! It also makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who had a bunch of names picked out until I was actually pregnant. :)
Thank you for writing about how you named Sadie. It is an honor to one of the names chosen and to be among the other 3 women who you wrote about. I appreciate the wonderful characteristics that you attributed to me. I will always enjoy visiting with Sadie and look forward to watching her grow.
Love you all lots!
I already liked the name Sadie, but I like it even more now. Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment